Featured post

Eole - october 15, 2009

Today, I rode Eole alone in the large outdoor arena which was completely empty. Clear sky, chill wind, a good Autumn weather for riding. Ins...

Thursday 15 October 2009

Pacha - october 12, 2009

Last week, a new rider has taken a share on Pacha ownership. Unfortunately, she has not a particularly good seat, hence a unsettling hand. I watched them yesterday - she rode him with this Pessoa bit which did not helped and added to the confusion. It is remarkable how quickly a sensitive horse like Pacha can return to a hollow back, a hasty, irregular stride and a nervous, restless head and mouth. A horse is a delicate clockwork indeed, that can be upset very easily..
Today, we were alone in the large indoor arena with Milha and F. I found some remnants of yesterday session. Pacha was on his toes, and made much 'bit noises' (I rode him with simple steel broken snaffle). Return to calmness was the overriding priority. I do not like these bit noises, because it expresses an upset and somewhat angry, diffident mood. I find them difficult to to get rid of. We did a long session at walk, looking for jaw flexions on high neck (not quite successful), 'descente d'encolure', with very light hands fixed above withers, deep and fixed seat,and legs almost 'dead' as Nuno Oliveira used to say. After 15', the neck extended in horizontal placer, and I began to feel my horse 'in front of me'. Disorders showed again, at a lesser extent, when we engaged the sitting trot session. I did nothing but waiting for Pacha to calm down on a fixed hand, a still seat and very light legs. 'Placer et laisser faire' is such a great idea, even for bringing a restless horse down to confidence and tranquillity again! After lots of circles and serpentines at constant pace, we did some posting trot at faster speed. Worked fine. Finally, the canter session started with some resistance (one kicking) which I had not seen for a long time. Here again, patience and calm paid out. I kept a little in suspension oon the stirrups, knowing how good it feels for his back. He ended in a rather round, regular canter which was rewarding.
When going back to stables, I was rather moody, fearing that I may have to face an endless Sisyph challenge with this new situation...

No comments:

Post a Comment