Featured post

Eole - october 15, 2009

Today, I rode Eole alone in the large outdoor arena which was completely empty. Clear sky, chill wind, a good Autumn weather for riding. Ins...

Friday 10 April 2015

Solene - april 10, 2015



Since the previous post, we have worked on improving cadence. The first point to recognize is that cadence requires impulsion, but is not a given once impulsion is here. In a way impulsion is raw energy, and cadence is the outcome of controlled, driven energy, as shown in a sketch I did from a Cadre Noir exhibition. With Solene, cadence needs to be established straight from the beginning of the session. Following S. advice (S. is the former national show-jumper who is a manager of the barn - I mentioned him previously on this blog, as an excellent advisor), I reduced the length of the walk initial section of the hour, looking only for energetic strides with a few flexions and descente d'encolure, and then I went straight into posting trot at a very brisk pace, with variations of speeds (accelerating on the large diagonal, slowering down on the short sides). At the start of this exercise, Solene speeded up with some precipitated strides, and sought for gaining speeds by 'knitting strides' multiplying them instead of extending them into longer, controlled strides. The latter is precisely what I want to get from him. Applying Oliveira's advice about the importance of the role of the rider's small of the back, I tried to use my back at each sitting in the saddle, making myself 'heavier' in the saddle at each sitting. 'Heavier' of course is not a proper word, just an image of sitting a tat longer, on a flat and deep seat, with a slight pressure from the calves. After a while, I felt a level of energy in Solene's pace which allowed me to let his head go lower, his neck longer on a soft contact and I felt like driving him with my seat only. And I suddenly felt his front legs extending more and his back limbs pushing harder - cadence was there! This is a delightful impression for the rider, especially on Iberians who are so often, and wrongly, taxed of being almost unable to deliver extended trot...
The beauty with cadence is that it is not only a physical feature, but perhaps more importantly a psychological disposition adopted by the horse under impulsion and leading to the graal of the vibrating, brilliant animal that all horsemen are looking for. Once cadence is inside the horse's mind, everything becomes easier and more brilliant.
I could verify this by asking him, after a delightful canter session, two pirouettes at each lead which were surprisingly successful, and a passage that was a dream compared to what he had already given me earlier. In both exercise, the big change was the rhythm of course, but also the wonderful willingness of the horse to go through the figure without slackening energy.
S. was pleased with these results, I was just delighted, and I think that Solene, who ended up with an impeccable square halt after a long free walk, reins looping as a reward, was happy too.
A bunch of carrot was the prize for him back in the stable, with lot of kind, soft compliments from me and scratching on the whithers and patting on the croup which are his favorite treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment