Featured post

Eole - october 15, 2009

Today, I rode Eole alone in the large outdoor arena which was completely empty. Clear sky, chill wind, a good Autumn weather for riding. Ins...

Friday 7 October 2011

Pacha - october 7, 2011

I have applied the learnings from D'Aure's text for a few weeks now, and I believe we are on the right track; Pacha becomes more connected, and improves in extended neck work: steadier and straighter. It shows especially in lateral work, with steadier contact in LY and SI, as well as ability to keep the bend over longer stretches. Of course, it does not please him all the time, and his lip flapping comes back more often, probably showing his nervousness vs. the incremental effort requested. Today, the mounted session had a long ( '20') walking part, with halts, transitions from pas d'ecole to extended walk, SI, haunches inside and an exercise which he does better and better i.e doing LY with outer bend on the middle line, changing lead every three or for strides while taking care that the overall progression stays straight and sticks to the middle line. Similar work at sitting trot (15') with shorter duration for each lateral work exercise. Then,  good canter, slow and round on circles and then at large.
Before going back to the stables, we did a little ground work at walk: walk, halt, reining back and to end up, 'jambette' at halt which I have taught him and that he now does fairly well  (at voice 's request). He seems to have gone out of the confusion he had been in at first, when he would tend to do it when he was touched with the stick, regardless of the actual purpose.
As for lungeing, we have two sessions per week. I was advised by S. to try a Gogue reining. I tried it, and Pacha accepted it without resistance. I am still unsure about the real benefit of this, which S. places very high for improving back muscles. I have read so many differing advices regarding this question of reining at lunge for musculation..I will carry on for a while, and test the effect.
As for our relationship, it is very pleasant. When free, without halter, in the lungeing ring, he will obey me at voice, and when requested to halt, come near me and stay there. The other day, I was engaged in a conversation with a gentleman outside the pen fence, and it was a little funny to see Pacha sticking to me during this time, as if he too was engaged in the talking!

No comments:

Post a Comment