Featured post

Eole - october 15, 2009

Today, I rode Eole alone in the large outdoor arena which was completely empty. Clear sky, chill wind, a good Autumn weather for riding. Ins...

Saturday 5 November 2011

Pacha - november 4, 2011

This print shows the way that some old masters (Newcastle for example) were dealing with some resistances 'de force'. I realize that I have been unconsciously inspired by this beautiful Ridinger's etching...
Pacha always has had a resistance on the right handside against relaxing his right mouth corner. I do not use the cavesson like in here, but I still find that the best way to fight it is using the right drawing rein in isolation, in a mellow and very short action, like a discrete reminder to relax, extend and lower his neck. The mouth softens each and every time then. Although I use it few and far between, I find it more effective than fixing the right hand on the right snaffles rein only. Of course, the latter approach does increase momentarily the tension on the rein, and is followed by a counter action from the horse resulting in yielding. But this does not entail the lowering neck action from Pacha with the same delicate response from him, nor with the same magnitude of extension.
I know that this is probably not politically correct with the purists of Lightness Horsemanship, but I find comfort in this picture as well as in Oliveira's comments about the use of draw reins. Horsemanship is decidedly not a science and finding effective practical solutions is part of the game and the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment